dizzy swap

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
paulinpoole

dizzy swap

Post by paulinpoole » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:09 pm

hi all
after forking out all that money for my respray the engine is now complaining :(
ive got another nasty sound coming from under the r/h side of rocker cover (by no 4 cylinder) or possibly from the dizzy (bearings inside it),not too sure yet untill i take it out.
so a question for a techy :)
i know when swapping the dizzy you do the tdc on compression stroke etc but i am unsure how to define the comprssion stroke from the exhaust stroke.
can you simply just take note where the rotor arm points and when putting in replacement dizzy just make sure rotor arm still points in same place ?
cant do anything till i know one way or other :(
thanks in advance

Sunfly

Re: dizzy swap

Post by Sunfly » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:36 pm

Others will know more, but I think there's an offset to the dizzy drive dogs that would stop you getting it wrong. So if you take the old one out and fit the new you should be OK. You'd need to set it up by strobe in accordance with the book but it is a fairly straightforward 40 minute job.

Kit
Tech Rep

Post by Kit » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:23 pm

Sunfly wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:36 pm
Others will know more, but I think there's an offset to the dizzy drive dogs that would stop you getting it wrong. So if you take the old one out and fit the new you should be OK. You'd need to set it up by strobe in accordance with the book but it is a fairly straightforward 40 minute job.
Sorry Bob,

With the 16v the dog is not offset, so it’s possible to set the dizzy up 180’ out.
I find the best way is to whip the cam cover off, check the timing marks, TDC with all the valves closed on No. 1 pot

Kit

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:19 pm

Kit wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:23 pm
Sunfly wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:36 pm
Sorry Bob,

With the 16v the dog is not offset, so it’s possible to set the dizzy up 180’ out.
I find the best way is to whip the cam cover off, check the timing marks, TDC with all the valves closed on No. 1 pot

Kit
Hi Duncan.

I did say others would know more and I was right! :P However I've checked my 24v and I'm pleased to say that it is offset as I thought, so I don't feel too bad about it. :D Notwithstanding that, I shall pass the problem back to someone who knows what they are talking about!

paulinpoole

Post by paulinpoole » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:41 pm

cool thanks a lot duncan
fingers crossed :)