Gear change

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
cpt black
Tech Rep

Re: Gear change

Post by cpt black » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:45 pm

Hi Bob
These are after market units which adjust the throw between gears and make it tighter
suspect its just the play at the linkage at the u/j slightly more stiffer more precise but
not to every ones taste
So yours may need a good oil change and the linkage looking at as linkage hidden under the
heat shields

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:56 pm

cpt black wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:45 pm
Hi Bob
These are after market units which adjust the throw between gears and make it tighter
suspect its just the play at the linkage at the u/j slightly more stiffer more precise but
not to every ones taste
So yours may need a good oil change and the linkage looking at as linkage hidden under the
heat shields
Thanks Kev.
FM passed the MOT today with just one advisory (hand brake at bottom limit) Gear oil to be changed tomorrow and UJ inspected. Gear oil had better be good at £78 for 3ltrs ouch! :o
worth it though if it fixes the problem.

cpt black
Tech Rep

Post by cpt black » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:33 am

Good news on the MOT pass Bob yes its bloody dear for the gearbox oil but should sort the problem
bleed the clutch again once done also check the Flexi hose under the battery tray for blow out

jrh

Post by jrh » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:59 pm

I have a gearbox you can have for free Bob , only thing missing is VSS unit.
It is near Grimsby !

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:52 pm

jrh wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:59 pm
I have a gearbox you can have for free Bob , only thing missing is VSS unit.
It is near Grimsby !
Thats very gentlmanly of you John, thank you very much for that very kind offer. I will see if the new oil and a bit of TLC on the UJ works before I make my mind up but if its looking like a box strip job, i'll Google the route from Glos to Grimsby and it will be very nice to meet up again.
I'll show my ignorance and ask whats a VSS?
Regards,

Bob

jrh

Post by jrh » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:51 am

VSS the unit that creates the pulse that goes to the cruise control and speedometer.
Easy to swap over , when the gearbox is out.

cpt black
Tech Rep

Post by cpt black » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:19 pm

As John says vehicle speed sensor top off gearbox give a good soaking with WD 40 if your
gearbox is FUBA and needs to come out i use an old wood chiesel to crack the bond ;)

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:53 am

jrh wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:51 am
VSS the unit that creates the pulse that goes to the cruise control and speedometer.
Easy to swap over , when the gearbox is out.
Ah ha! now I know!

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:26 am

Good news, the new oil and UJ service seems to have done the trick. Gear changing is very much easier and smoother. I cant tell you which had more impact, but previously there were two notches and occasional clunking when changing gear, now there only seems to be one. I havnt tried a racing change yet (and promably wont) but changing normally and with respect to the 27 year old engineering, it likes to disengage the current gear to neutral smoothly and without drag, think about it in neutral for a split second (as the synchro speeds the engaging gear up) then slips into the new gear smoothly (best when the oil is warm). Not like new, I suspect, but pretty good and much nicer to drive now, so a good result for me.

Also a bonus was that it didnt cost me a bean. The garage that all the company transport goes to have a cylinder head with siezed and rounded head nuts they wanted to mill off with a hollow cutter, but the shank is too big for their drill, so I welded on a dummy shank and machined it true, so being gentlemen, no money changed hands. You scratch my back and I'll comb yours! I think I got the best of the deal judging by the location of the UJ but I guess a four post lift helps.

So I hope thats useful info for anyone with stiff gears and my grateful thanks to John, Kev and Malcolm for the help and advice. Also Stuart McCrudden of Gear Tech who was rightly sceptical about the syncro's. A lesser man would have had the box out, (including me). Gear oil used was Red Line GL4 75W85 MT (manual transmission)

andy p

Post by andy p » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:06 am

Good news Bob :D
That's saved loads of work changing the gearbox.