Hand brake adjustment problem

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Funokata

Hand brake adjustment problem

Post by Funokata » Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:12 pm

Hey guys, having trouble with my handbrake. Ive never been able to adjust it up to be strong enough without it binding when released.

I have fit new handbrake cables, new rear calipers as one was seized, however it hasnt solved the problem. I set up new caliper manual adjustment as per manual. Have bled the brakes several times over and still the same. I can only get any strength out of it if it's over adjusted and still partially on when released.

Any tips?

Micron
Site Admin

Re: Hand brake adjustment problem

Post by Micron » Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:31 pm

When you say binding when released, is this with a wheel on or off, or even both?
I would say that you probabaly need to do the bulk of the adjustment with the wheel off, then wheels back on, 2 clicks on the handbrake and make you final adjustments. it might take a few goes of - 2 clicks on h/brake, adjust, release h/brake, try and repeat as required. With the wheels off, i would expect it to bind, but once the wheels are on, it should be find.

have you made any adjustments at the handbrake end, once you have adjusted the callipers
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎

jrh

Post by jrh » Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:39 pm

The retract force is entirely down to that coil spring hooked behind the little lever on each brake caliper.
Even refurbished calipers can be stiff, in the extreme.
They MUST return easily to the relaxed position.
If they don't , you have a problem.

Funokata

Post by Funokata » Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:32 pm

Hi guys thanks. I figured it out. It was quite a combination of factors. Manual adjustment was incorrect (ended up winding pistons in until contact then back 1/3 turn), I also re bled the system including the clutch as I didn't realise it shares the same reservoir. This seemed to make a very big difference. There was a fair amount of air in the clutch line and the fluid was black.

Have been able to get a firmer adjustment at the handbrake end now without binding when off. I have a very steep driveway and it will now stay there on 9 clicks. I'll keep playing to improve it but it's loads better.

Kit
Tech Rep

Post by Kit » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:26 pm

9 clicks, still a lot.
Take some of them out at the adjuster nut under the plastic trim, on the top of the handbrake leaver ;)

Kit

jrh

Post by jrh » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:39 am

And if you never want your calipers to seize again......wind some thin strips of DENSO tape between that lever arm and the caliper casting.
The idea is to give the useless lip seal a chance ,by stopping dirt and salt water from getting there first.
Check/renew every 5 years.
DENSO, the answer to every problem, in the world.

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:40 am

jrh wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:39 am
And if you never want your calipers to seize again......wind some thin strips of DENSO tape between that lever arm and the caliper casting.
The idea is to give the useless lip seal a chance ,by stopping dirt and salt water from getting there first.
Check/renew every 5 years.
DENSO, the answer to every problem, in the world.
I was wondering how long it would be before the word DENSO appeared in this topic :lol:
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎

jrh

Post by jrh » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:53 am

Truly , I must be the best unpaid sales rep they've never had , a good product sells itself though.
Sticks around right enough !