ABS headache

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
mr moo

Re: ABS headache

Post by mr moo » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:51 pm

I got a similar one from a different seller for a Mazda 626/ MX6/ xedos 6 for £16.66 and it's identical. It was a right hand as the lefts seem to be twice the money, so I swapped the brackets over and job done! Working! Thanks

Neil

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:15 pm

mr moo wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:51 pm
I got a similar one from a different seller for a Mazda 626/ MX6/ xedos 6 for £16.66 and it's identical. It was a right hand as the lefts seem to be twice the money, so I swapped the brackets over and job done! Working! Thanks

Neil
Excellent news Neil

Do you have a link?
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎

mr moo

Post by mr moo » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:18 pm

Item number eBay 174973411673

cpt black
Tech Rep

Post by cpt black » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:32 am

Good news Neil well done great result

ronandkate

Post by ronandkate » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:37 am

Hello Mr Moo!

Sorry to hijack your thread but we have a similar ABS (1994 24V) saga which has been ongoing for years :cry:

We had lots of ABS codes, changed everything on the system - pump, module and all sensors apart from front left. Code 12 remained. Recently got a replacement used front left sensor, put it on and then got codes 12 and 15! Never had code 15 before. Then we put the original sensor back on and we're still getting just code 15.

The ABS light won't clear at all now when we remove earth on battery and press brake pedal for 1 minute so it's harder to read the code on the dash because the light remains on. Getting a flicker and it's still reading 15.

Based on your experience, it could be an intermittent wiring fault with the front left sensor. Or one of the others. Or the relay itself.
Wondering how did you identify it was the rear left sensor? Disconnect it at the plug and put a multimeter across each end of the sensor? And then when you put the resistor in place of the sensor, was it at the connector plug end of the wheel sensor inside the car? How did you wire it - a couple of wires with crocadile clips? Or did you just push it in the plug as it was? We can buy a 1.5K resistor from somewhere but not sure how to wire it to do the test.

Would appreciate any info on what you did and how. Thanks!

Kate & Ron :)

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:56 am

@ronandkate
Did you check the codes with an LED and wire strap, as per the Oracle viewtopic.php?f=32&t=469

As for how to connect the resistor, it would be the car side of any plug, the fronts ones being easy to find under the bonnet. The rears are more difficult as you need to remove the rear side panels. just put one leg of the resistor in to the plug on the car side, rather than the sensor side, you may have to just secure it with some insulation tape, as it's a resistor, it won't matter which way round it goes, unlike a diode. Try each one in turn, check before, during and after the resistor has been inserted.

It may pay to unplug each connector, try to give them a bit of a clean and reconnect, as one of them have become high resistance.

Where are you based roughly?

ronandkate

Post by ronandkate » Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:31 pm

Micron wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:56 am
@ronandkate
Did you check the codes with an LED and wire strap, as per the Oracle viewtopic.php?f=32&t=469

As for how to connect the resistor, it would be the car side of any plug, the fronts ones being easy to find under the bonnet. The rears are more difficult as you need to remove the rear side panels. just put one leg of the resistor in to the plug on the car side, rather than the sensor side, you may have to just secure it with some insulation tape, as it's a resistor, it won't matter which way round it goes, unlike a diode. Try each one in turn, check before, during and after the resistor has been inserted.

It may pay to unplug each connector, try to give them a bit of a clean and reconnect, as one of them have become high resistance.

Where are you based roughly?
Hey Micron! Many thanks for your help on this. Happily, no codes returned after testing the relay and driving a couple of miles. That's the most we've done without a code flashing in years! Today we just disconnected and reconnected the LH front ABS sensor, the control module and relay. But just in case the test run this week-end doesn't go well, am I right in saying that only 1 leg of the resistor needs to be inserted into one side of the plug that connects to the abs sensor and the remaining leg of the resistor is left dangling? i.e. does not go into the other terminal point of the plug (at the car end)? Does it matter which of the two wires we connect the resistor to? Crossing fingers, feeling tentatively hopeful we'll get the old girl back on the road.

Cheers,

Ron

BTW. We're currently based in SW France near Toulouse. She's a french LHD, oOh La La! And quite beautiful - no rust, because cars just don't rust much here :)

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:58 pm

you connect the resistor to the plug going to the ABS module, NOT the ABS Sensor

Hopefully the diagram will help?

ronandkate

Post by ronandkate » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:45 pm

Micron wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:58 pm
you connect the resistor to the plug going to the ABS module, NOT the ABS Sensor

Hopefully the diagram will help?

Yes! That makes perfect sense! Thanks :)

mr moo

Post by mr moo » Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:45 pm

Hi I missed this, sorry! I used a multi meter and checked the resistance on all the sensors at the abs module behind the rear trim panel on the (British) passenger side, by putting the multimeter across the two wires of each sensor. 3 sensors were fine but the rogue sensor showed infinite resistance and no voltage. It was different to the other sensor readings, so I put the resistor across the two pins of the connector block where the abs wheel sensor plugged in and left the sensor unplugged. That fooled the module into thinking all was ok, and the abs light went off... until of course the wheels started moving. No voltage was being detected so the light came back on but with the sensor unplugged I was able to read the codes more clearly and replaced the sensor using a Mazda 626 item (if I recall correctly)