Car has shut down.

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
tel 546

Car has shut down.

Post by tel 546 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:51 pm

1997 24 valve, 120,000miles.
Car came to a dead stop 4 miles into a journey. No sign of life from the fuel pump but it seems to be running with terminals in obd bridged.
I have tried re -connecting the cps plug which has worked for me before but no luck this time. Can't get any codes just solid light or no light at all. I have looked at all the other obvious potential problems and can't see anything wrong. Stumped! and I am not a mechanic.
I have had this car a long time and am getting too old to get in and out of it let alone fix it, so any ideas would be welcomed.The engine is excellent when it is running.
Sadly I need a working car right now and don't have storage space so I have only a week or so to get this sorted or it will have to go up for sale along with a lot of spares!
Terry

Kit
Tech Rep

Re: Car has shut down.

Post by Kit » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:56 pm

:idea: Dizzy

Kit

Kit
Tech Rep

Post by Kit » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:33 pm

You need to check if you have a spark , at the spark plugs

Kit

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:56 pm

Where are you based Terry, someone close might be able to help?
It does seem a bit strange that you don’t get anything when looking for codes, unless of course there are no codes present.

Can you explain in a bit more detail the current symptoms?
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎

mojo98
Tech Rep

Post by mojo98 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:57 am

I'll go with Duncan (dizzy)

jrh

Post by jrh » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:45 am

Presumably this has not happened to the car before while you have owned it ?
As others , it is classic distributor failure or cambelt broken ?
How long have you owned the car ?

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:28 pm

CPS problems wont cut a running engine. Dizzy, or immobiliser if an earlier car.

cpt black
Tech Rep

Post by cpt black » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:37 pm

Sounds like the Dissy but have you checked the key or tried a spare :?: ( AS THE CHIP MAY BE FUBA)
And not reading the transponder

tel 546

Post by tel 546 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:46 pm

Hi All,
Firstly, thanks to all who responded to the post. massively appreciated.
So to recap. Car coasted to a halt in Torquay after driving about 3 miles. It had been very erratically when cold for a while. ( Hunting). AA guy tried some easy start with no luck. I have tried that again with still no luck. I tried the spare key. No go. Can't hear anything from the fuel pump. Have looked for a spark from plug at night and there does seem to be something there but very faint and slow, maybe that is normal, I will have another go tonight.
All the belts are intact and I have had the front wheel off to check the cps wiring, all ok. I can only look for codes with jump wires and l.e.d. light, but this has worked for me in the past.
I live in Paignton Devon so if anyone can have a look that would be great, Happy to pay and would be happy to hand over three boxes of spares as I don't really need them any more.
Thanks,
Terry.

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:03 pm

tel 546 wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:46 pm
Hi All,
Firstly, thanks to all who responded to the post. massively appreciated.
So to recap. Car coasted to a halt in Torquay after driving about 3 miles. It had been very erratically when cold for a while. ( Hunting). AA guy tried some easy start with no luck. I have tried that again with still no luck. I tried the spare key. No go. Can't hear anything from the fuel pump. Have looked for a spark from plug at night and there does seem to be something there but very faint and slow, maybe that is normal, I will have another go tonight.
All the belts are intact and I have had the front wheel off to check the cps wiring, all ok. I can only look for codes with jump wires and l.e.d. light, but this has worked for me in the past.
I live in Paignton Devon so if anyone can have a look that would be great, Happy to pay and would be happy to hand over three boxes of spares as I don't really need them any more.
Thanks,
Terry.
hi terry,

Would you believe that I am currently in Torquay, I could come and take a quick look on Saturday morning if it would help?
If you are ok with, please send me a PM with details of where you live, or a number to call you on?

thanks
Trev
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎