Under arch painting

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Bikergonebald

Under arch painting

Post by Bikergonebald » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:12 am

Hi Guys,
I've decided this weekend is a good time to repaint under my wheel arches, they're are in really good condition already but at the back of the sill the underseal needs attention so i want to strip it back and do a good job. The problem is i left it too late to buy what i need so i have to find something for next day delivery or click and collect locally.

I've read the best method is clean back and treat rust (i have rust remover and converter already) then an etch primer (I don't have) followed by enamel paint then either stone chip paint or under-seal. So any suggestions of brands of products i could get quickly that are good for the job?

I do have synthetic black paint which can be sprayed for thinning or brushed on which is inert and can go over any type of primer. Some chassis paints are synthetic based but i read enamel is better. Should i use synthetic?

Screwfix only have Hammerite red metal primer and i could probably get Hammerite black from elsewhere. 20 years ago a sprayer told me to never use hammerite on a car because it contains additives which causes problems if bodywork in the area later has to be spray painted.

I already have under seal and wax oil. So in summary i need a quick source for etch primer and possibly enamel.

All suggestions welcomed.

Thanks
Kevin
Owner of a 1992 Mazda MX-6 Auto, 2001 Jaguar XK8 and 1982 Honda CB900c.
Sorry guys I don’t have a probe (yet ;) ) I’m asking questions here because I get better responses than on the US Mazda forum.

Micron
Site Admin

Re: Under arch painting

Post by Micron » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:29 pm

Have you tried Amazon, as I believe they are still delivering, but it might not be next day, and you would have to have a Prime account?
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎

Bikergonebald

Post by Bikergonebald » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:45 pm

I did look on Amazon but i was surprised to see that the best delivery was still next week. The bank holiday won't help but another supplier has told me that no couriers are offering guaranteed next day anymore because of high demand. I might just have to buy from Amazon pay for premium delivery and hope.
Sorry guys I don’t have a probe (yet ;) ) I’m asking questions here because I get better responses than on the US Mazda forum.

jrh

Post by jrh » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:12 pm

You might try using some Dinitrol 77B on an area that has been well cleaned of loose surface paint/rust .
Just that, no overpainting.
Then compare that , with any other areas you have treated another way, in say one years time.

jrh

Post by jrh » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:13 pm

You might try using some Dinitrol 77B on an area that has been well cleaned of loose surface paint/rust .
Just that, no overpainting.
Then compare that , with any other areas you have treated another way, in say one years time.

Bikergonebald

Post by Bikergonebald » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:54 pm

I used isopon chip protector aerosol because they had it in stock at Halfords.
I would now strongly recommend against using it, I didn’t read the Halfords reviews first but wish I had.
I applied it over etch primer that had been out on 24hrs before over bare clean steel.
The chip protector cracked and crazed as it dried even though I applied it as described leaving 20 minutes between coats. I think it just had too much thinners in it and it shrank as it dried.

Next time I’ll get stuff to put on with a spray gun.

The photos show it with a coat of primer over the top highlighting the cracks.

brookie66J

Post by brookie66J » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:35 pm

Those pictures show that the paints have reacted with each other, you will have to strip them off and start again as they will never work together,Paul.

Bikergonebald

Post by Bikergonebald » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:23 pm

I already did strip it off. It shouldn’t have reacted but you’re right that something went wrong.

jrh

Post by jrh » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:27 pm

I can promise you will not have any problem like that with the Dinitrol 77B !
It isn't cheap but will outlast Waxoyl many times over.