UKPOC - Club Forum

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:20 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: warning light meaning
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:21 pm 
UKPOC Full Member

Drives: probe24v1996
Ran just a mile to the village and the orange warning light on far side came on.It is a funny shaped rectangular thing with cut out corners and a cross throught it.
I looked in my book and it says fuel injection warning light that car won't start and to press button in boot.I know that button but car was starting I tried it 2 or 3 times.
Any ideas.Garage cannot take it until Monday.I have about an hour and half drive to work and back saturday.
If there is any chance of it breaking down I need to cancel the job.
Only other thing when I ran the car to get airlock in coolant out coolant pumped out of overflow level(flat cap side at front) for fun though when it settled levels are norma and I hadnt had to add coolantl.I tried to clean it off with kitchen towel but are there any sensors there it may have affected?
This car is trying my nerves.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:29 pm 
UKPOC Full Member

Just found an old post.I have a spare alternator and will bung that in the boot.Good chance running short journeys may have made battery low.
Will see if mate can pop round with battery charger and will through jump leads in boot just in case.
Can someone drop me a link to correct 24v battery in case I need one.And suppliers if poss.
Seen it on here somewhere but would help if someone knew where it was.
Any way to test battery charge without charger.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:03 pm 
UKPOC Full Member

Drives: ..................
Does it look like this ?
If so, it's the alternator/belt that's dodgy

UKRIP 1 12 09
Si vis pacem, parati para bellum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:15 pm 
UKPOC Full Member

No.It is directly to right of air bag light and has a cross through it.More like a car shape but with trumpet front and line running down back of it.
I had complete cam belt change 18 months ago and that probably would have included alternator belt change?
You know who used to do them for ukpoc members.
Only other thing is oil pressure switch went whole engine got coated in oil so likely some may have got in somewhere.
Are all these things driveable on a long journey until I get car in next week.
Trying to book rental viewings in too so not loving my car as it appears to be a lazy probe and just wants to sit on the drive.That comes of having an owner that garaged it every winter for 10 years.Its trying to hibernate.Trying to keep a sense of humour to prevent nervous breakdown.Lol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:38 pm 
UKPOC Full Member

just a thought garage when had it last week said they ran it for ages to look for oil leak then i ran it yesterday to clear coolant air lock.Am I right in thinking it doesnt charge battery enough if you not driving long journeys.But battery warning light not on.mojo had similiar post 2010 but didnt say if batteryvor alternatorvin end.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:49 pm 
NE Regional Rep

Drives: 1997 24V + 1998 24V
the light your on about is what people think its the engine management light, but Fred is right its your alternator light,
I suspect your oil leak has sprayed oil over your alternator, causing it to mess-up your alternator, its not the belts its your alternator fault,
hope this help, you don't need a battery just change your alternative, your local garage can check out if your alternator is charging correctly ( five minute job)

CAR OF THE SHOW 2102 SBM JOINT 2ND 2014 Gold, 2ND 2015 24v Gold
BEST STD 16V 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014 SBM, 2015 Rio
BEST STD 24V 2009,2010,2011,2012,2013,2014, 2ND 2015
BEST INTERIOR 2009 24V Gold probe + 2012 16V (SBM) & 2013 16V SBM
3RD PLACE SHOW & SHINE 2012, 2nd 16V 2013, 3rd 2013 24V,WINNER 2014, WINNER 2015 24V, + 2ND Rio
THE PAUL S MEMORIAL AWARD 2011

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:10 pm 
UKPOC Full Member

mojo98 wrote:
the light your on about is what people think its the engine management light, but Fred is right its your alternator light,
I suspect your oil leak has sprayed oil over your alternator, causing it to mess-up your alternator, its not the belts its your alternator fault,
hope this help, you don't need a battery just change your alternative, your local garage can check out if your alternator is charging correctly ( five minute job)

Wicked mojo.Cut straight through panic.Luckily I have a spare alternator.Looks a bit gunged up but mechanic who gave it me is guy who can fit it in tommorow.He remembers it was off 24 v so was about 2005 I got it so hopefully the same part.
If you wouldnt mind just remind me if alternator gone it will not charge battery but worse case scenario if car breaks down I can jump start/ charge battery.
Been awhile since I went old school.
I guess I hang on to old alternator as i guess can do part ex and guess what is on my wish list for next spare part.lol
Anyway thanks guys lot happier now.
Repeat top tip change your oil pressure switch before it fails as for such a low cost part it can lead to no end of problems.correct me if wrong.
And know contoversial but put your subs up 10 quid to be member of this club best 10 quid i spend
Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:42 pm 
UKPOC Full Member

Alternator sorted.Battery isn't tip top so will look at getting one before the cold as it won't hurt and better to have ready than not have use of my car.
He explained the gauge under the pressure gauge to me.I didnt know what it did?My gauges are usually always half way once engine is running so I never look at them.Learnt something new.I don't mind admitting I don't know things.
Thanks everyone.